Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dear Dis-Contented Friend, I've learned a cure for the grumpy heart...

grati·tude

noun

~ a feeling of thankful appreciation for favors or benefits received; thankfulness ~

card by Valerie Kiser


One thing I have learned over and over in my life is the minute I start feeling dis-content, grumpy or generally down in the dumpy slumps, I need only change my thinking into thoughts of gratitude about whatever has got me down.  It's amazing how I instantly get a fresh perspective when I simply make that intentional mental shift.

In the midst of being irritated at my children's neediness or mis-behavior; I must remind myself the sweet adorable things they say and do most of the time, be thankful for their health, safety, and their mere presence that so many other childless couples yearn deeply for. 

When I feel discontent about the state of the decor (or lack there of) my house; I charge myself to be thankful that I have a home to begin with. So many people loose theirs due to natural disaster, or to financial crisis.

Instead of focusing on what my husband doesn't do; remember what he does; he is faithful, hard-working to provide for our family, engaging, caring, deep thinker... (I could go on...and I should more often)

Gratitude doesn't always come naturally, it's a choice, but something we should choose in all things, even if we're not in a season of abundance...

1 Thes. 5:18:
 Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


What are you choosing to be grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment